Thursday, December 25, 2014

My Boko Haram Story, by 13-yr old ‘Suicide Bomber’
Kolade Adeyemi, Kano
Nigeria Nation

A 13-year old would-be female bomber has confessed to being lured into the Boko Haram sect’s suicide squad with the promise of making it to heaven.

In a chilling account, Zarau Babangida, who hails from Damaturu, Yobe State, said her parents, who live in Bauchi State, enlisted her into the sect.

Zarau spoke to reporters in police custody after being arrested along with her accomplice.

She would have detonated another bomb during the December 10 twin-explosions in Kano’s Kantin Kwari market but for a change of mind. Ten people were reported dead in that blast; nine others were injured.

Zarau spoke to reporters yesterday.

Her story: “When my parents took me to the Boko Haram training camp in Bauchi, I did not have an idea what they wanted me to go and do. But when we got there, one of the trainers asked me whether
I wanted to go to paradise. I replied in the affirmative. He then told me that I had an assignment to carry out in Kano. After the necessary training, he told me that three of us (all female) would travel to Kano to execute the assignment, saying after executing the assignment, we would then be entitled to make it to paradise.

“When we got to Kano, they took us straight to Kantin Kwari market. When it was time for the execution, the two other girls took their position. We all had the bombs concealed in our dresses because we were wearing hijab. The others detonated their bombs, but I vehemently refused to ignite mine. But I was injured on my left leg from the explosion.

“Due to the injury, I shouted for help, the commercial tricycle operator, who sympathised with me, took me to Dawanau, where I resided with my parents. However, I removed the concealed bomb in my body and left it on the seat of the tricycle.

“The tricycle operator returned to confirm that I was the one carrying the bomb and he alerted security agents. I was arrested at the hospital where I was being treated.”

Kano Police Commissioner Mr Aderenle Shinaba, who was with heads of other security agencies in the state, said the arrest of the 13-year old would-be bomber and her accomplice was as a result of the synergy among the outfits.

Shinaba confirmed that the girl was arrested at the hospital. He cautioned against insinuations that people of particular ethnic group are behind the bombings.

No comments: